Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Embossed Aluminum Foil Tutorial

There was a challenge on Flying Unicorn to make a project using embossed metal. I was NOT deterred by the fact that I don't have an embossing machine. So, 


Here is a little sumptin' sumptin' I just whipped up:






Want to know how I made the metal without the tools mentioned above? Why, of course you do!

Okay, first challenge was to deal with the fact that I do not own an embossing machine or a diecut machine. I do, however, have three metal stencils... and I think plastic would also work. I know from embossing paper that foam sheets will work as a pad instead of the pricey ones, so I dug around and found some.

Somewhere, I have a stencil tool and that would have been much better. But I just could not stop the creative process any longer to keep looking for it. So, I used a wooden skewer (thank you Paprika, these DID come in handy).

Second challenge was I don't have a double sided tape dispenser. Or double sided tape, for that matter. As I thought this part through, I knew that the pieces would slide around if I cut them and just stacked them. The solution: I folded my sheet of aluminum foil into thirds and taped it down to the foam sheet using painter's tape. As long as I could keep it tight when I worked with I should be okay. I would imagine masking or scotch tape would be fine, I just had painter's tape handy.

I used a foam sheet left-over from when the kids were little as a cushion.

Dsc00255.jpg

Then, well... I traced. It was a tad tedious at first, until I got the hang of it, but then it was cool! I used too much pressure in some places and it tore through the first layer, but I have decided that adds character.

After I thought it was done, but before I took the tape off, I held it up to the light and found a few places that I had missed, so I fixed them. Next, I cut it out, leaving about 1" on all sides to carefully fold under. I used a thin metal ruler to fold against and firmly kept all three sheets together as I folded.

Dsc00248.jpg

Now for the ink. This is by far the bast part. I added some lavender and darker purple later on.

Dsc00250.jpg

There you have it. I can see myself tracing around diecuts, using cookie cutter shapes, etc. For those talented people out there, I am sure you could free hand! 

Hope this sparks some inspiration for someone out there in Blogville! Thanks for stopping by,


5 comments:

  1. This is awesome Bitsy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Bitsy, this is really brilliant !!TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats great, love it and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thank you ladies! And thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete